Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Bolshoi Ballet - a once in a lifetime experience

The Bolshoi Ballet hasn't been on tour for about 50 years, so when I saw the add in the newpapers - this was sometime in May or June, I think - I simply went ballistic!
Not in my wildest imagination had I ever thought that the Bolshoi would ever come to Denmark and that I would have a chance to experience them first hand!
So I made a vow to myself; whatever the cost - I was SO going to see them perform!

The Danish Royal Theater opened for ticket sales on August 14th at 10am and at that time I was literally glued to my computer - kept being denied access since the run on DRT's server was constantly busy. Panic slowly creeping up on me, stubbornness stayed my hand and I kept on trying to get access. Finally, at around 11am, I was granted access and 5 minutes later I was the happy owner of 2 rather expensive tickets to the Bolshoi Ballet on September 8th - they would be performing Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. Called my mother who was to accompany me on the second ticket and told her the date and time and that we would be sitting on first balcony, 3rd row - excellent seats according to the theaters seating plan.

The waiting period from August 14th to September 8th felt like hell to get through!
What if I became ill or if something happened like me breaking a leg or something - I was determined that NOTHING should keep me away, even if it meant me going in a wheel chair.

The day finally arrived and my stomach was acting up - queasy feeling of having to sick up and feeling warm and dizzy - totally unable to sit down and relax for as much as 5 minutes.
We went to have dinner at an Italian restaurant - very nice food, but I can't remember what I ate - then at 7.15pm we took a taxi to the new Opera House.
First time I have ever been there - but not the last, I hope - beautiful architecture, loads of various types of marble, glass and steel - very sterile.

At last the bell rang and we entered to find our seats - darkness enveloped us.

To be continued...

No comments: